Spring Nettle Soup
This is vibrant green, healthy and garlicky - a great soup to make quickly on a weekday evening. It mostly uses store cupboard ingredients and nettles, which if your gardens like ours, are in abundance in spring. Wear gloves! And look for new lighter shoots that appear in late March – May.
2 Garlic cloves - sliced
1 tbsp neutral oil
1 rib celery / half a leek
300ml Boiling water
1 Stock pot (chicken / vegetable / ham)
200g potatoes - peeled and grated
60g frozen spinach
2 (gloved) handfuls of nettle tops
Sour cream (or vegan equivalent) for optional garnish
Celery seeds for optional garnish
- Sauté garlic in oil for a minute.
- Add celery or leek for another 2 minutes.
- Add boiling water and stock pot – be careful it will bubble violently– and mix in.
- Add grated potatoes and cook for 10 minutes on fast simmer.
- Add Spinach for 2 minutes.
- Add nettles and then blend / liquidise – again being careful.
- Add more water if too thick.
- Then serve with swirl of cream and sprinkling of celery seed.
20 minutes, serves 2, vegan & gluten free
Greedy Pig Catering
With a passion for food, a love of quality and amazing creativity, they are able to craft a food journey to create just the experience you are looking for.
Weddings, private dining and corporate events, are all catered for in variety of styles: picnic, festival vibe, feast tables, hog roast and BBQs. There is nothing they won't try, so if you have a dream event, get in touch.