Submitted by Sam Rose who runs Betty Rose Bakes a small home baking business.
This is a yum served with a chunk of bread or cheese on toast and sprinkle with some freshly chopped coriander if you like .
Oil 1 tbsp
Onion 1, peeled and chopped
2 garlic cloves
1 tsp cumin seeds
Red lentils 110g (4oz), rinsed until water runs clean
1/4-1/2 tsp chilli flakes to taste
Smoked paprika 1 tsp
Chopped tomatoes 227g can
750ml vegetable stock
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Optional - fresh coriander to garnish
- Heat the oil in a saucepan over a medium heat, add the onion, cook for 5–7 minutes until softened.
- Add the crushed garlic and cook for a further 3 minutes.
- Add the cumin seeds and cook until you can smell the aromatic flavour infusing (approx 3 mins)
- Add the lentils, chilli, and smoked paprika , stirring to combine for 1 minute.
- Add the tomatoes and stock. Bring to the boil then reduce the heat, cover the pan and simmer for 20 minutes or until the lentils are tender. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Blend if you prefer a smooth soup and/or add more water or stock if you prefer a less thick consistency and adjust seasoning.
- Serve with a chunk of bread or cheese on toast (yum) and sprinkle with some freshly chopped coriander if you like.
40-50 minutes, serves 6, vegan & gluten free
Betty Rose Bakes
Breads and beautiful cakes made to order using only natural ingredients. Available for celebration cakes and private catering.
Betty Rose Bakes is a small home baking business run by Sam Rose. She is passionate about great food using locally sourced ingredients, seasonal produce and organic flours, sugars, butters and milks.
She creates rustic handmade breads and beautiful cakes baked to private order and for cafe supply. She is also available for bespoke orders and savoury catering; supplying a range of canape, buffet, hot food and buddha bowl ‘in a box’ options, as well as cakes and bakes made to order for special occasions, parties and events including gluten free, vegan and no refined sugar.